Let’s eat healthy this week folks! Start your week off right with this Sunday Super Sandwich. Enjoy!
Recipe and photos by My New Roots
Smoky Tempeh Sandwich with Sundried Tomato Pesto
Makes 1 sandwich
2 slices wholegrain sourdough bread
a few slices Smoky Tempeh
a generous slather of Sundried Tomato Pesto
¼ – ½ ripe avocado
plenty of salad greens (spinach, butter lettuce, arugula etc.)
cracked black pepper
1 package tempeh 7oz. / 200g
1 Tbsp tamari
1 Tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. melted coconut oil or ghee
1 tsp. smoked hot paprika or ground chipotle
1. Slice the tempeh into slabs or long strips, depending on the shape of your block of tempeh.
2. In an oven-proof dish whisk together all other ingredients. Place the tempeh in a single layer covering the bottom of the dish, then flip each piece so that it is coated with the marinade on both sides.
3. Place in a 375°F / 190°C oven for 20-30 minutes until the tempeh has absorbed the marinade. Remove from oven and let cool until you are ready to make your sandwiches.
Sundried Tomato Pesto
Makes about 1 cup
1/3 cup / 50g organic sundried tomatoes
2/3 cup / 150ml hot water
½ cup / 65 g pumpkin seeds
1 clove garlic
2 Tbsp. cold-pressed olive oil
salt to taste, if desired
1 tsp. raw honey (or maple syrup) if desired
1. Place the tomatoes in a bowl and cover with just-boiled water. Let soak until soft, about 30 minutes.
2. In a dry skillet over medium heat, lightly toast the pumpkin seeds until they puff up and smell nutty. Be careful not to burn them! If you want a completely raw pesto, skip this step or soak the seeds overnight to activate them.
3. Drain the tomatoes through a strainer over another bowl to catch the water – you need to save the liquid for the pesto as it contains many nutrients and tons of flavour.
4. In a food processor, pulse peeled garlic to mince. Add all other ingredients, except salt and sweetener, and blend on high until smooth. Taste for seasoning and add salt or sweetener if desired. Store in a tightly sealed glass container in the fridge for up to one week. Enjoy on sandwiches, with eggs, on pasta, or as a dressing on grain salads and fresh veggies.
1. Toast bread if desired.
2. Slater one half of the bread with Sundried Tomato Pesto. Place sliced avocado on top of the pesto, followed by tempeh and greens. Serve immediately and enjoy, or wrap up for a picnic later in the day.